Not Honoring the Court Decree

I am already divorced so I have a finalized divorce decree. My ex husband does not seem to think he has to abide by any of the issues that are addressed in the decree.  What do I do now? I am financially depleted at the moment and can’t afford to go through the hassle with lawyers anymore.

Hi Ellen,
You are in luck.  You don’t need to deal with lawyers at all. All you need to do is file a contempt charge in your court.  Once a decree is in place, the documents are filed in your jurisdiction and the agreements set forth in those documents are binding.  If your ex husband thinks he is off Scott-free, he has another thing coming to him.  Quite the contrary.
Go to your courthouse, where your divorce took place and ask for contempt forms.  Complete them and attach your divorce decree. There is usually a small filing fee of $25 or so.  More than likely, once your ex finds out he is being charged for contempt, he will honor the decree.  The last thing he wants to do is face a judge for not honoring the agreement that he signed off on.
Best wishes