Letter: Trouble Switching Homes During Custody Visits

Letters From Readers

Hi Susan,

I hope you can help me with my situation.  My husband and I share custody of our seven year old daughter.  When it comes time for her to visit with her father, she protests and cries.  Should I try to change custody so that she lives with me full time?


Dear Ellie,

It is very common for children to have anxiety when they are switching houses.  I would not be surprised if she is equally upset when she leaves your ex-husband’s home to come to your house.  It is your job to make that transition smooth for her.  Make the switch from your home to your ex-husbands fast and clean with a cheerful tone.